Tuesday, January 3, 2012

hunt your conscience

This is one of those issues that make my life difficult as a cartoonist. Instead of just thinking of something funny to say about an issue, but having to go inside and decide what I feel about the ethics of an issue. With this story, against a dreadful background of rhino poaching, the culling of a white rhino on a private reserve has been auctioned to a private hunter for the sum of around R 950 000. My gut reaction was a complete no-no, but then I read further and had a little think about sustainable hunting and the money that goes back into conservation projects. I don't like the killing of animals, but being a meat eater, I'm being totally hypocritical. I do think they should be much tougher on poachers who get away with a minimal fine for killing an animal worth R 300 000. Hunting I personally wouldn't do. I think we should arm the rhinos and let them loose!

No comments:

Post a Comment