Thursday, December 27, 2012

When no news is good news

The dilemma faced by cartoonists over the holiday period is that all the politicians and other news makers go on holiday too so today I was faced with drawing a cartoon about Nelson Mandela coming out of hospital or about the dire road fatality rate. Well, you don't joke about the nation's favourite old man when he's sick, so I had to think about the road deaths. South Africans seem to have a death wish when behind the wheel and with the holidays only half done and the death rate already over 1000, how does one make this remotely humorous? When in doubt, drag up an old joke and retell it. Here's the old overtaking/undertaking concept made tragically new again because one of the major causes of road death seems to be reckless overtaking. Sometimes I'm glad to stuck in my studio over the holidays - at least I'm off the roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment